Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A background, part II

I was due to give birth on January 19th.



2 days before Christmas, I noticed that the contractions I had been feeling were stronger and slightly painful. They were irregular though, and subsided after a few hours.



3 days after Christmas, I woke up around 3 AM to go to the bathroom. It was a weird, painful sort of experience, but I didn't think too much of it - pregnancy had been full of weird, painful experiences, so I went back to bed. Around 7:30 AM, I woke up with painful contractions. They were extremely irregular, but fairly strong, so I had a feeling that I wasn't going to make it to my due date. I decided to start getting things ready while I waited for them to come a bit faster and more regularly.



An hour and a half later, I found myself on my hands and knees, calling 911. The contractions were still irregular, but they were extremely painful, and all of the sudden I could feel the baby trying to crown. 10 minutes later, I was being raced to the hospital. My daughter was born as we pulled into the emergency room. The entire process had taken less than two hours.



I was raced into the ER, while they took my daughter up to the NICU. I was in shock, bleeding badly, and surrounded by a whirlwind of activity. I could only get that my daughter was alive, but wasn't doing well, and they weren't sure why.



A few hours later, they had me stable and in a room when I found out more. My daughter was doing very badly - her blood was too acidic, and it was destroying her from the inside. The doctors did everything they could, including flying her to a nearby hospital and trying an experimental treatment. After only 6 short hours of life, they asked me to make the decision to stop treatment. She died only a few minutes afterwards.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! How profoundly sad,please accept my condolences for your loss. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drifted over to your site from White Coat Rants . I am so sorry to read about the loss of your baby daughter, and also about the continual and very difficult challenges that you are handling with as much grace and good humor as anyone could possibly muster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry to hear about this, it is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just found your blog through the 153rd Carnival of Personal Finances and noticed this label and was curious. I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss.

    ReplyDelete